FAQ: How can I . . . arrange a wedding?

We are happy to talk to you about arranging your wedding here.

We are happy that you are considering holding your wedding at First-St. Andrew’s United Church.

If at this point you just want to get a better idea of what spaces in the church look like, check out our rentals page

If FSA seems like a good venue for your wedding then start gathering more information here.

Weddings can be performed by any person licensed by the government to do so, including a justice of the peace.  If you wish to use our church as the site of our wedding, however, we will want you to have one of our ministers marry you. We proudly welcome people of diverse ability, sexual orientation and gender identity.

We expect that you have chosen to be married in our church because:

  • your faith is important to you.
  • you understand your marriage commitment as a covenant (promise) between yourselves and God.
  • you might have or wish to build a relationship with us.

If you are interested in being married at First-St. Andrew’s, contact the office to begin the reservation process.  You may do this by phone or e-mail.  Your deposit (see fee schedule below) will secure the date that you have selected.  If you wish a rehearsal, book this date at the same time.

Within six months of your date, one of our ministers will be in touch with you to set a time to meet.  In this interview your ideas for the service will be solicited, and United Church resources will be made available to you.  You will plan your service in consultation with the minister, so that it feels right to you.  There is no formal requirement for marriage preparation at this time.

You will also need to be in touch with our Music Director to select music for your service.  The first step is to listen to the CD sampler of wedding music suggestions which we provide.  Then arrange to come and meet to go over your choices.  Guest musicians are welcome, and should communicate directly with the Music Director.

You will need to obtain a marriage license from any city hall in Ontario.  They are valid for 90 days. At least one week before your wedding, you should bring your license to the office, and pay the remaining fees associated with the service.


Photographs are a special keepsake from a wedding.  We welcome the thoughtful participation of photographers and videographers.  Please ask this person to speak to the minister concerning movement, location and timing of photos/video filming.



Flowers are welcome.  (See the configuration of the pew ends on the left below.) Flowers may go up during your rehearsal, if you are the sole wedding or the first wedding on your day. If you are a second wedding, they may go up one hour before the start of your service.  Your decorations should come down within 15 minutes of the close of the service. If you plan to use scattered petals, they must be silk.  Please designate someone not in your wedding party to remove decorations and petals.



Our United Church Women can provide a pair of large candelabra (centre below) with space for seven candles each for $30, and ten clamp-on candelabra that line the center aisle, ten on each side, (right below) with three candles each for $10.  You must provide the ten-inch white dripless candles. 


Welcoming your guests

Our custodian arrives 60 minutes prior to the service.  We recommend that you have two-four ushers, who will welcome you guests from between 45 and 30 minutes prior.  In order to have our large wooden doors open for your guests, you will need to arrange for at least three ushers, preferably four.  The church atrium is wheelchair accessible for any guests requiring this service

Do we have to be members of First-St. Andrew’s United Church to get married here?
No.  However, If you don’t have any connection, why not consider worshipping with us a Sunday or two before you book your wedding, so that you can get to know the community?

One of us is divorced, does that make a difference?
No, it does not.  We welcome you into your new partnership with joy.

Can our child participate in the service?
We think this is a good idea if the child is old enough and wishes to participate.  Speak to the minister about how to do this so that everyone feels comfortable.  A part of the service can include vows from a new step-parent to step-children and vice versa, or the exchanging of a token.

Can we invite another minister to do the service?
A guest minister may participate along with one of our ministers.

Get the fee schedule for a "generic" wedding. Because each wedding is unique we recommend that you contact the church office, mail@fsaunited.com or 519-679-8182 to confirm what your wedding would cost..

Contact the church office, mail@fsaunited.com or 519-679-8182