HISTORY OF FIRST-ST. ANDREW'S
Although the current church has been in place over a century, it has gone through many transformations. Here is a list of the many milestones that have occurred.
1938 - Renovation of Sanctuary rebuilding and relocation of organ in chancel "pit" and pipes to chambers on either side of chancel to provide open chancel with east and west choir stalls facing each other removal of galleries on east and west side walls creation of centre aisle with new pews and chancel paneling on main floor
central pulpit replaced with present side pulpit and lectern installation of present stained glass windows in chancel.
1949 - War memorial stained glass windows dedicated
1955 - Sanctuary redecorated symbols for 12 Apostles, 4 Gospels, Alpha and Omega painted on ceiling, several stained glass memorial windows dedicated
1956 - Present Chapel and Christian Education Building dedicated after 1905 building was gutted and rebuilt
1969 - New Casavant Freres tracker organ installed in balcony of sanctuary and chancel redesigned
1974 - New Casavant Freres organ installed in Chapel
1975 - Ceiling symbols covered with drywall when some plaster fell
1982 - Extensive updating of Christian Education Building and kitchens
1995 - Access addition incorporating chapel and sanctuary entrances, an elevator and new washrooms, installed
1999 - Sanctuary refurbished and ceiling symbols replaced
2005 -" Lower Hall" refurbished and renamed "Proudfoot Hall